Thursday 15 August 2013

The Greatest Love

The second part of the Bible study on love.
John 15:13 (NIV)
Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.
How does this demonstrate love?
It shows that someone or something else is more important to us than ourselves.

Of course, the same could also be said with fanaticism, but it's a different beast. With fanaticism you can be blind to the faults of the object of your obsession. I know from when I had a crush on a pop star when I was 15 and found out he smoked, I was all too willing to think it was cool than to see it as a real failing, even though I hated the smell of cigarettes.

With love, you see the faults and you accept them as being faults, but you still love that person or thing. As an example, I love my cat even though at times he makes horrendous smells, is sick on my carpet and sometimes scratches me. Despite all that, he also comes for cuddles, likes to snuggle up on the sofa, and is always there to welcome me home by rubbing all around my legs.

We know Jesus did this, but how do we do it?
In the context of marriage, it could be as simple as cooking something that someone you love enjoys, even though it's not something you would choose, or giving up a day to help the person you love. It could be more extreme like donating a kidney(!) or relocating far away from your home because that's where the person you marry has to be.

I suppose the word I'm looking for is 'sacrifice' - it's making sacrifices to help, encourage, or console the person you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment