Friday 9 August 2013

Love Is

I'm doing a Bible study on love at the moment to help me prepare for marriage. I've decided I'm going to post some of my responses and thoughts from it on here as well, to remind me that there's more to planning a marriage than just planning a wedding.
1 Corinthians 13:4-7 NIV
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Using one word, how would you sum up what love is?
Worthy. A strange choice perhaps, but true love and the person or people who you love are worth making sacrifices for.

Which of these definitions of love stands out to you right now?
Not self-seeking - going into marriage I'm very aware that there will need to be compromises made by me and my fiancé. We've both been single for so long that we will have our own ways of doing things and we will need to work together to find 'our' way of doing things instead of 'my' way of doing things.

To love him and help our marriage I can't be self-seeking and demand everything to be done my way, I have to be willing to allow him to do things that he really wants to do and have things that he really wants to have, and to do it not grudgingly, but happily, because I love him - even if I really don't like the dead troll keyring that he has!

And because he loves me, he will let me have salad and chicken in his fridge even though he will never eat them :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment