Tuesday 24 September 2013

To love, cherish and obey

I, N , take you, N , to be my husband,
to have and to hold from this day forward;
for better, for worse,
for richer, for poorer,
in sickness and in health,
to love, cherish and obey
till death us do part;
according to God's holy law.
In the presence of God I make this vow.
 
I plan on promising to 'love, cherish and obey' darling beardy man. This may come as a surprise to people who know me, who know that I'm rarely short of an opinion and always happy to vocalise it or to disagree with other people. It all comes down to what you understand by 'obey' though.

In the context of marriage I don't believe that 'obey' means I should always do exactly what and only what my husband says. I believe there is a place in marriage for differences of opinion, and that there's nothing wrong with a couple disagreeing with each other over some things.

Where I believe the obeying issue comes in (and I have talked about this with darling beardy man) is if there's something which we need to make a decision on but we can't agree. In that case, I would go with his decision as he is the head of the household.

I imagine that in most cases we'll be able to agree on something, or the issue won't be one that requires us to agree (for example, what shall we eat for tea? I want chicken and you want pork? We'll cook both.) But in the cases where we do need to make a decision, if we can't make one then he will make that call.

No comments:

Post a Comment